Friday, February 12, 2010

Heidi's

Here in Minneapolis, Heidi’s has developed quite a reputation for its cuisine thanks to chef/owner Stuart Woodman. He runs the restaurant along with his pastry chef wife, Heidi (for whom the restaurant is named). Neither my friend C.Y. nor I had been to Heidi’s, so we thought it was about time for us to see what all the hype is about.

The restaurant is in a quaint South Minneapolis neighborhood where businesses and private residences are intertwined on the same block. The charming exterior gave a clue as to what was waiting for us inside. As we entered the front door, we were greeted by a thick velvet curtain protecting the warm, cozy space from a flood of cold air.

C.Y. and I were lead through the intimate main dining room around the corner to an adjacent room that isn’t visible when you first walk in. I think this is the room used for private events/parties, but they open it up for regular business on busy nights. I was indifferent as to which room we were seated in as both were warm, inviting, romantically lit spaces making even the most homely of patrons look effortlessly stunning.

Shortly after being seated, we were brought a basket featuring various breads from Turtle Bread Company to which Stuart Woodman has a past-life connection. The bread was good, but I wasn’t overly wowed by it. I guess had higher expectations for the bread considering the popularity of its source.

After given time to peruse the menu, I decided to start my meal with the Lobster Bisque. The creamy soup was served over purses of sweet potato pasta filled with chunks of lobster. The soup was rich, mellow, and had a subtle underlying sweetness from the lobster.

For my main course, I chose the Artic Char. The skin was fried crisp and gave a nice salty contrast to the mild fish underneath. The filet was served over a beet and cabbage puree along with chewy chive and dill gnocchi. As much as I loved this course, I didn’t really understand how the gnocchi fit into the dish. In my opinion, it would have been just as delicious without them.

I couldn’t have a meal at Heidi’s without experiencing the talents of Heidi herself (aka the pastry chef), so for dessert I ordered the chocolate layer cake. The cake had a candied chocolate top and contained delicious layers of rich chocolate mousse and nougat-like pistachio candy. It was served with a chocolate sorbet that was scented with just a hint of orange.

If I had one “complaint” about the evening it would be that the service was almost too attentive. I know this sounds ridiculous, but between all the check-in’s by Maitre d’ and the various wait staff, our conversation seem to be awkwardly interrupted throughout the night. Yes, I would much rather have too much doting than not enough. I’m just saying Heidi’s could tone it down a bit and still be considered appropriately attentive.

All in all, I have to agree with the hype. Heidi’s is amazing. If you haven’t been yet, put this place at the top of your “must try” list. Personally, I hope to return soon!

Additional Details:
1. Website: http://www.heidismpls.com/
2. Parking can be a bit tricky here. I find the best place to park is along Bryant Ave. The nice thing is that it's all free!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you made it just in time. I hope they will rebuild!

    ReplyDelete